Saturday, December 1, 2012

What's my wish for this year?

So it's my birthday in exactly 2 days, for most people they'd probably be super excited and be really stoked to get older. But once you get to a certain age it becomes rather mundane and it becomes quite the opposite, you'd actually rather the day not exist. Every year since my 20 some birthday I've started to think a lot about what I've done or have yet to accomplish, especially the couple days right before my birthday, it's actually kind of depressing haha. But with that said, usually the day of is actually quite good and I seem to forget about all that stuff mainly due to the other distractions that go on throughout that day with friends and family.

Wow, I just re-read what I wrote and that's a very depressing intro... I promise you this post is not going to be a mood killer. I was laying in bed watching YouTube videos and I came across this one video which was a Church that decided to create a worship experience based around the song Beautiful Things by Gungor. It's 11 minutes long but I thought it was quite captivating, I could only imagine what it would've been like to actually be there. Anyway while watching this and listening to the song (which by the way is absolutely one of my favourite worship songs right now) I thought about what should my next steps be in life. This past year already has been quite incredible, as 1 year ago I was in Calgary, living at home, probably sitting in my room or at school working on final projects whereas now, I am sitting in my own apartment in 1000 kilometres away from home trying something completely different with my education career and being thrown into many challenging yet fun, exciting and invigorating experiences.

One of my greatest strengths (imo) has always been that I am can get very passionate about something very easily and quickly, but that is also one of my greatest pitfalls, because I run out of steam rather quickly, and this results in me starting up or exploring possibilities, giving it a try, and then giving up to move onto something else. This becomes a difficulty because I rarely ever get anything done, at least not to the point where I would be really happy with it. Although this probably has to do with my lack of patience and my OCD of perfection. Anyway, I'm not going to get into all the details because it's pretty boring, if you really want to know you can ask me.

What I've decided for this year, this is weird, it's like I'm making a new years resolution for my birthday, but whatever, it's close enough.... so for this coming year, I'm going to attempt to to work on things I've already started/established, rather than starting another 10 new things I will probably never work on until some random number of years later, if ever. I normally wouldn't even attempt such a challenge but this past year I feel like I've gone through so much already that this might actually be a lot easier than I am anticipating.

List of things to work on/finish this year (minimum 5):

  1. Get back into a regular serving/volunteering position at Church or some other non-profit organization
  2. Play guitar well enough to help with #1 and for personal enjoyment
  3. Establish a solid ground/framework for what to do with All Things Mobile and other web projects on limbo
  4. Continue being active through physical activities at least twice a week (running, hiking, biking, etc)
  5. [Empty slot to start/learn something new -- Snowboard? Sing? Dance? Don't know yet]

No comments:

Post a Comment